How to make Trail mix that is healthy and nutritious. To all you mothers who are reading this article, I am sure you have landed on my blog to find some healthy and nutritious recipes for your kids. You must be worried all the time since your kid does not eat properly and you must be thinking about what you must feed your child that is healthy, nutritious as well as keep them full for long.
I am sure all your kids must be binge eaters; I know this since my baby is also a binge eater.
Hence I am back again with another healthy, nutritious, and peppy recipe for kids.
This time it is a Trail mix recipe.
So, what is a Trail Mix? And how to make a Trail Mix that is Healthy and Nutritious?
Trail mix is a snack mix that was originally created for people who travel since it is a dry snack that is portable, is convenient to carry and gives energy on the go.
Trail mix includes ingredients like dried fruits, granola, nuts, and seeds, sometimes candy and chocolates.
Trail mix is available commercially as well but they are unhealthy since lots of preservatives and sugar are added which adds lots of calories.
Hence, I created a homemade Trail mix recipe that is healthy, nutritious, peppy, and suitable for kids.
This recipe is most suitable when you are traveling and will give energy to your kids and keep them full for long.
What are the benefits of Trail mix?
Trail mix is easy to prepare at home. You can add ingredients of your choice that suits your taste or preference or omit ingredients that you don’t want.
Trail mix is easy to carry, gives energy and keeps you and your kids full for long.
Trail mix also helps weight loss in adults.
Since Trail mix contains various protein ingredients like nuts and seeds, they are high in protein.
Protein helps muscle growth, tissue repair and increases immunity in Kids.
It is a good source of healthy fats for kids.
What does Trail Mix consist of?
Trail mix is made with dried fruits, seeds, nuts, sweeteners, and some fun stuff.
Healthy Trail Mix Recipe:
- Nuts – You can add any kind of nuts here – it can be peanuts, almonds, cashews, apricots, walnuts or pistachios. You can buy it from your grocery directly, dry roast them at home and use it in making the Trail mix.
- Seeds: Don’t forget the seeds. Seeds provide a serious nutritional benefit including protein, vitamins, iron, magnesium and other minerals. Look for raw and unsalted ones which you can dry roast and use it.
- Dried Fruits: Dried fruits like Raisins, Apricots etc are coated with sugar however they are a good when you are travelling and get exhausted, this sugar-coated dried fruit provide that extra energy. Try your best to pick the dried fruits that are sundried and sulphur free.
- Sweeteners: These are optional however if you want to use them then use Maple Syrup or Raw Honey.
- Fun Stuffs: since we will be making the Trail mix for kids, we can definitely some fun stuffs like peanut butter chips, chocolates, popcorn and other sweet treats.
Let’s jump into the recipe.
How to make Healthy Trail Mix:
1 ½ cups raw nuts i.e., Peanuts, Pecans, Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, etc…
1 cup raw seeds i.e., Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, etc…
1 cup unsweetened, non-sulfured dried fruits
Fun stuffs 1 cup Chocolates, or popcorns or peanut butter chips, etc…
Spices i.e., Sea salt, ½ teaspoon cinnamon or Nutmeg powder(optional)
Toast the nuts in the microwave for about 10 minutes
Toast the seeds in the microwave for about 3 to 4 minutes
Mix Nuts, Seeds, spices in a big bowl. If you really need some sweeteners then add 2 tbsp of Maple syrup or Honey and gently mix.
Store this in an airtight container and store up to a month.
Read this blog for more Kids friendly healthy recipes Traveling with kids? As a mom, what wonder foods you must carry for your kids?
Do try this recipe and let me know in the comment box if you loved it.